I'm going to break this down into three mini recipes...the chicken, the noodles, and the sauce. In the end, you put them all together and you have a complete dish.
Paleo Pad Thai
Baked Chicken: This makes more than you need for the dish, and its great chopped on top of a salad or eaten as a snack. In hindsight, I would make this part the day before to save time.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ground black pepper
- garlic powder
Zuchinni Noodles (spaghetti squash could also be subbed)
- 4 cups julianned zuchinni (I used both yellow and green, and this took about 5 small zuchinnis)
Pad Thai "Sunshine" sauce: This tastes like the most decadant, zingy peanut sauce you have ever had except it is made with sunflower seed butter! No naughty legumes here.
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar (not really Paleo at all but don't tell on me)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed butter, no sugar added (We buy Sunbutter)
- dash ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
Ready to put it all together? Here is what else you will need.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, plus 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup snap peas, sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets
- chopped almonds and sliced scallions for garnish (lime wedges would also be great)
In the same pan, increase the heat back to med-high and add 1 teaspoon coconut oil. Saute the onion and snap peas, add the broccoli, and cook for about 3 minutes.
Add the zucchini noodles, chicken, and cooked egg to the pan and stir until cooked through, about 3 minutes.
Add the sauce to the pan and stir-fry until everything is blended and hot.
Since relationships are all about compromise, I cook and Tim does the dishes. This is mainly because I enjoy cooking, he can't boil water, and having food and water on my hands at the same time grosses me out. Tonight I was glad we made this arrangement. Have fun!